7 Tips for Writing a Magazine Article
When you put pen to paper for an article, you are most interested in engaging your readers. You want to grab them and compel them to read your thoughts and ideas. Here are 7 Tips to get you started in the right direction.
- Know Your Audience – Who reads the magazine you are writing for? What age group? Gender? Educational level? Tailor your language, tone, and content to match your audience.
- Catchy Title – Readers flip through magazines. Your title needs to make them pause and then stop. Write an intriguing title and make sure it captures the essence of your topic.
- Strong Introduction – Sit and ponder your opening sentence. Ask yourself: “If I were reading this, would the sentence grab me?” Once you are clear that it will – proceed.
- Clear Structure – Break up your article into sections. Just like the title itself, give the section headings titles that will continue to engage your readers. Make sure each section flows logically, so that readers easily understand everything.
- Research Thoroughly – Go to the web and find the most reliable sources. Your sources should be credible with up-to-date information. Be sure to cite your sources. Do your research first and then begin outlining your article.
- Conversational Tone – Your readers should feel like they are sitting in front of you listening to a story. Write the way you speak. Avoid complex terminology unless your topic specifically calls for it. If you think a term will baffle your readers, explain it in everyday language.
- Let 365° Do It For You – This is your best option. You’re busy building your business. And a big part of our business is writing. We’re happy to jump in and take the task off your hands and turn out the perfect article to tell the world your story.
Now you’re ready to write. Refer to these tips as you go from start to finish in your article. Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect – your editor will take care of that!
Glenn Carson, Contributing Editor
We’re ready to help. Call us at 1-800-697-5568.